Digestive system is also known as Gastrointestinal System or GI Tract .
Digestive System is defined as a system in which food digestion and absorption take place .
Digestion is defined as the process in which food is converted into small form for the absorption of essential nutrient into the body from the complex form .
Digestion process take place in two processes –
- Mechanical process – In that digestion process take place with in the mouth – chewing.
- Chemical process – In that digestion process take place by the help of chemical ( acid secreted by GI Tract ) .
Digestive System Organ
It is divided into two forms –
- Primary Organ – It’s contain the actual organ that play direct role on digestion .
- Accessory Organ – It’s contain the organ that help in the digestion not directly involve.
- Small Intestine
- Large intestine
- Salivary gland
1. Mouth / Oral cavity
Mouth or oral cavity is a place where ingestion of food take place and in that place a physical or mechanical digestion take place . Its also a entrance gate for digestive system .It’s contain a set of 32 teeth which help in chewing.
Temporary teeth – It is a set of 20 teeth . It’s another name is milk teeth and it is found in child which dental formula is
- Incisor- 2
- Canines – 1
- Premolars – 0
- Molar – 2
Permanent teeth – It is a set of 32 teeth which is found in adult . Dental formula is
- Incisor – 2
- Canines – 1
- Premolars – 2
- Molar – 3
Function of teeth –
- It help in cutting of food .
- It help in Chewing of food .
- It help in “pronounce words”.
- It help us in “shaping the face”.
Function of Mouth
- It start physical digestion process by cutting and chewing of food through teeth .
- Its a place where saliva mix with the food .
- Its a place for ingestion of food .