Oesophagus is a Food pipe or gullet .
Oesophagus is a hollow muscular organ which is located in our body from C6 to T11 . It is totally 25 cm long and situation between the Trachea and vertebral column .
Oesophagus enter into the diaphragmatic hitus at the 10 thoracic column .
Diaphragm has three opening for pass out the organ –
- Aortic hiatus
- Diaphragmatic hiatus
- Caval hiatus
Layer of Oesophagus –
It consist of four layer –
- Adventitia – outer most layer of the oesophagus .
- Muscularis – muscular layer of the oesophagus .
- Submucosa – second most layer of the oesophagus.
- Mucosa – innermost layer of the oesophagus .
There are two sphincters are present –
- Upper Oesophagus Sphincters – It’s is present at the top of Oesophagus for the prevention of air entering into the oesophagus.
- Lower Oesophagus Sphincters – It’s is present at the ending point of Oesophagus and starting point of stomach mean at a place where oesophagus connect with stomach for prevention of back flow of food.
Oesophagus enter into the stomach at an acute angle.
Function of Oesophagus –
It’s main function is the pass the food material , saliva and liquid to the stomach from the mouth.
These materials pass from mouth to stomach through peristalsis movement .
Peristalsis movement – It’s a wave like movement or flow in the GI Tract muscle for the passing of food from one place to other and also breakdown it with passing .
Peristalsis movement – It is a rhythmic movement that allow to pass food material , saliva and other liquid.